Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sestina

Ever since you have gone
and joined the army, you feel so far away,
so distant, and even though I love
our letters to one another, they don’t replace
our talks, those long walks; do you remember,
when we’d laugh till our cheeks were stained with tears?

I try to get rid of my sad thoughts and replace
them with  memories; like those afternoons away
at the lake when you taught me how to fish, and I loved
to catch them but made you throw them back. I didn’t want to tear
one fish away from her family. We’d be gone
all day and come back with no fish, but you didn’t mind. I remember

all those times I took for granted: now you’re away
and I’d give anything to get back those moments and replace
some of my harsh words for words of love,
but those moments are gone
and I’ll always just have to remember
the times I hurt you, every tear.

I hate it that you’re gone.
You told me to look up at the moon and remember
that even though we are far away
we’ll both see it every night; it doesn’t replace
anything. You said it’d make us feel close, and I’d love
to feel it but it’s hard to see the moon when my eyes are filled tears.

But I’m so proud of you. Proud that you’ve gone
to do great things, that you honor and love
your country enough to tear
yourself from the familiar life you remember
to go to such a scary place.
I’m so proud but the fear doesn’t go away.

I know I told you I would wait for you, and I remember
my promise but I never realized the war was so far away place.
I could miss you and cry every day waiting, but my tears
would be wasted. My world if filled people who are not gone
for four years, and filled with people to meet and people to love.
My life can’t be put on hold while you are away.

The war may have torn us apart, taken you away,
but whatever place you chose to go, always remember
that my love may feel lost but it will never be gone.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment