Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Up and to the Right

The trick to finding an answer
I was told
is to look up and to the right.
I try till my eyes hurt,
but the fog of my thoughts are in the way.

All the things I need to remember,
like where my car is parked, who’s mad
at whom, what kind of cake she wants for her birthday.

That one song we sang today
blares, shwee oot doot dot doo dot da
bad do bop dwee bah doo dah,
a cacophony of scatting,
my alto harmony singing out the loudest,

The things I try to forget.

My eyes keep wandering back
to the back wall, to behind
where a string of  posters scream inspiration
at me, to back on that day
when the man with no arms talked to us
about following our dreams and all of that.

Up and to the right,
to the right, to the right
take it back now ya’ll. Two hops this time
One-- STOP IT—two, three, four,
I declare a thumb war.
My mind is loud, without much sense,
like those modern paintings they call abstract.

Breaking through the wall of noise
is like breaking through a defensive line.
Maybe below all this noise are the real answers.
Like who we are or why we’re here.
Or maybe I will just find a few answers,
Like the formula for the inverse of cosine.

Up and to the right.
Or maybe it’s left.
I don’t know how she expects me to finish,
this test with all the noise in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment